From the kitchen of Karen Van Evera.
One type of Christmas cookie you’ll find in the Van Evera house.
- 2 ½ cups sifted flour
- 1 ½ cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Your favorite frosting
- Combine flour, confectioners’ sugar and salt and and sift into bowl.
- Cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla; mix until dough holds together.
- Press into a ball.
- Wrap and chill well.
- Roll ½ of the dough to 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured board.
- Cut into fancy shapes with floured cookie cutters.
- Arrange 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees Fahrenheit) until done, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool.
- Frost as desired with ornamental frosting.
- Recipe says it makes 4 ½ dozen − it may make three dozen.
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons light cream or milk
- Cream butter; gradually add about half the sugar, blending well.
- Beat in vanilla and half the cream or milk.
- Gradually blend in remaining sugar.
- Add enough cream to make of spreading consistency.