Cornmeal and Greens Soup
From the kitchen of Ikaria by Diane Kochilas.
- 6 tbsp Greek EVOO
- 2 red onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 lb swiss chard
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh chervil
- 6 cups (or more) water or low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup polenta
- sea salt and black pepper
- crumbled goats milk cheese or greek feta cheese
- In a large, wide soup pot, heat 3 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook until soft,
- Add chard and half the herbs to the mix and stir until wilted. Add 4 cups of the water or broth and bring to a boil, and in a slow, steady stream add the cornmeal, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of water or broth and simmer the soup until thick and creamy, about 30 minutes total. About 5 minutes before removing from heat, add the remaining herbs and, if necessary, more water or broth to maintain soups creamy, liquid consistency.
- Drizzle in remaining 3 tbsp of olive oil just before serving. Garnish with cheese.