From the kitchen of Ikaria by Diane Kochilas.
I added shredded zucchini
- 1 pound boiling potatoes, peeled and quartered
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- ¼ pound Greek Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- pinch of nutmeg
- All-purpose flour, as needed
- olive or other oil for frying
- In a pot, cover the potatoes with cold salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer the potatoes until fork-tender, 20-25 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Transfer the potatoes to a bowl and mash. Mix in egg, feta, herbs, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste, Mix well.
- Shape into croquettes, 1 ½-2" oblong or round patties. Place on a plate, cover with foil and refrigerate for 1 hour until firm.
- Spread a cup of flour on a plate.
- In a heavy nonstick skillet, heat 1" oil over medium to high heat. Dredge the croquettes in flour and fry in batches, turning once with a slotted spoon until golden.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.