Curried Lentil Soup
From the kitchen of South Beach Diet Recipe.
South Beach Diet Recipe (Phase 1); serves 4 persons.
- 2/3 cup onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, minced
- 2/3 cup tomatoes, canned or fresh, diced
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic, large, minced
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup lentils, uncooked, rinsed and sorted
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Franks red hot sauce; to taste (or any hot sauce)
- ½ pound chicken breast, optional
- Saute onions, garlic and ginger in olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add lentils and spices and stir well.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice, and tomatoes.
- Stir loosely covered for about 30-40 min. or until lentils are tender.
- Add spinach during last 5 minutes.