WebCore 2.7.0 Released!!!
A good eight months since the last service pack, 2.6.1, comes a new release of the earthli WebCore, 2.7.0.
The minor version bump is, in the end, an understatement. Though WebCore applications include much of the same funtionality, there are significant under-the-hood and cosmetic changes:
For the user:
- Drastically improved search UI, including searching for users, comments, and all types of objects in an application. Search results include smart summaries showing hits in context.
- Fixed several bugs in publishing and added ability to subscribe to a user; improved UI to clearly indicate what is subscribed and why.
- Improved usability of menus and drop downs for all browsers
- Added/improved “copy/move” for multiple objects and folders
- RSS Support! (thanks Packi)
- General UI improvements for forms and layout
For the developer:
- Completely rewritten resource-location system for much more flexible and manageable deployment possibilities
- The plugin system is completely standardized; the answer to “how do I change ???” can now always be answered with “write and register a plugin”
- Startup system cleaned up and also based on plugins
- Added versioning to applications and configuration pages for migrating a database
- Much improved indexing and use of primary keys for all tables
- No more tables for layout on compliant browsers! (so far, only Opera…)
- Uploading now works more reliably with a staging area to allow easy cleanup of abandoned uploads
See the release notes for all the gory details.